Monday, November 2, 2009

Washingtonian Magazine Recognizes Silver Spring Restaurants

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!  When did Silver Spring, Maryland become the unappealing, whiny middle child of the dining world and Washington D.C. its beautiful, more enticing big sister?  Okay.  So we all know Silver Spring is not the restaurant mecca of the world.  But what you may not know is that hidden among the Chik-fil-A and the Fuddruckers are three little gems that have been recognized by Washingtonian Magazine.  
As owner of Silver Spring's own Crisfield Seafood Restaurant, I am thrilled to be in such good company.  I'm also ecstatic to show D.C. fanatics just what Silver Spring has to offer.  Perhaps these reviews could draw some business to surrounding restaurants and yes, maybe even to mine.  That is why I am making it my personal mission to review local restaurant hot spots, starting with Ray's the Classics.  This Silver Spring steakhouse is ranked #54 out of 100 best restaurants in the Washington D.C., Maryland, and Virginia area.  Although I am somewhat of a seafood expert, I know a good steak when I taste one.
Ray's the Classics-  Last weekend, I made a special trip to this restaurant to see what all the fuss was about.  I walked in to the chatty restaurant and looked around.  The decor was simple yet elegant.  Oversized booths in the room to my left gave off a comfortable, relaxed feel.  It was crowded, but that is to be expected on a Saturday night.  I put my name in and, to my surprise, was immediately given a table.  My waitress was extremely friendly and was brightly smiling from ear to ear.  I perused the menu.  I overheard the couple to my left raving about the crab bisque.  This would definitely be the best place to start.  I then put my order in for a supersize cowboy steak.  As my father always said, you don't go to a steakhouse to order the fish.  About 10 minutes later, my bisque came.  It was thick, rich, and creamy.  It warmly slid down my throat.  Delicious.  After I finished licking the bowl, my steak came.  It was so big it was hanging off the sides of the plate.  I dug in to it, expecting the meat to resist my knife and fork.  Surprisingly, the knife slid right through the cut of steak.  Like butter.  The smell was irresistible.  I put the steak in my mouth and it practically melted.  It was moist, juicy, and rich all at the same time.  Bottom line- the food is outstanding.  
Would I bring children to this establishment?  No.  While the atmosphere is kid friendly, the menu is not.  There is a glorious absence of chicken fingers and fries on this menu.  It is the perfect spot to bring your significant other for a nice evening on the town.  The setting is relaxed and romantic.  I would recommend this restaurant to anyone, but particularly to couples with no children or to couples who have hired a babysitter for the evening.   

No comments:

Post a Comment